Astral Lighting complies with the principles of Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA 2018) and General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) compliance when dealing with all data received from visitors to the site.
This Privacy Notice explains in detail the types of personal data we may collect about you when you interact with us. It also explains how we’ll store and handle that data, and keep it safe.
We know that there’s a lot of information here, but we want you to be fully informed about your rights, and how Astral Lighting Ltd uses your data.
It’s likely that we’ll need to update this Privacy Notice from time to time.
We hope the following sections will answer any questions you have but if not, please do get in touch with us.
EXPLAINING THE LEGAL BASES WE RELY ON
The law on data protection sets out a number of different reasons for which a company may collect and process your personal data, including:
In specific situations, we can collect and process your data with your consent.
When collecting your personal data, we’ll always make clear to you which data is necessary in connection with a particular service.
In certain circumstances, we need your personal data to comply with our contractual obligations.
If the law requires us to, we may need to collect and process your data.
In specific situations, we require your data to pursue our legitimate interests in a way which might reasonably be expected as part of running our business and which does not materially impact your rights, freedom or interests.
WHEN WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL DATA
- When you visit any our website and use your account to buy products on your phone, in a shop or online.
- When you make an online purchase and check out.
- When you create an account with us.
- When you purchase a product in store or by phone but don’t have (or don’t use) an account.
- When you engage with us on social media.
- When you contact us by any means with queries, complaints etc.
- When you ask one of us to email you information about a product.
- When you enter prize draws or competitions.
- When you comment on or review our products.
- Any individual may access personal data related to them, including opinions. So if your comment or review includes information about the Staff member who provided that service, it may be passed on to them if requested.
- When you fill in any forms. For example, if an accident happens in store, a Staff member may collect your personal data.
- When you’ve given a third party permission to share with us the information they hold about you.
- We collect data from publicly-available sources (such as Land Registry) when you have given your consent to share information or where the information is made public as a matter of law.
- When you use our car parks and shops which have CCTV systems operated for the security of both customers and Staff members. These systems may record your image during your visit.
WHAT SORT OF PERSONAL DATA DO WE COLLECT
- If you have a web account with us: your name, billing/delivery address, orders and receipts, email and telephone number. For your security, we’ll also keep an encrypted record of your login password.
- Details of your interactions with us in store and online.
- Personal details which help us to recommend items of interest.
- Payment card information.
- Your comments and product reviews.
- Your image may be recorded on CCTV when you visit a shop or car park.
- Your social media username, if you interact with us through those channels, to help us respond to your comments, questions or feedback.
HOW AND WHY WE USE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
If you choose not to share your personal data with us, or refuse certain contact permissions, we might not be able to provide some services you’ve asked for.
For example, if you’ve asked us to let you know when an item comes back into stock, we can’t do that if you’ve withdrawn your general consent to hear from us.
Here’s how we’ll use your personal data and why:
- To process any orders that you make by using our websites or in store. If we don’t collect your personal data during checkout, we won’t be able to process your order and comply with our legal obligations.
- To respond to your queries, refund requests and complaints. Handling the information you sent enables us to respond. We may also keep a record of these to inform any future communication with us and to demonstrate how we communicated with you throughout. We do this on the basis of our contractual obligations to you, our legal obligations and our legitimate interests in providing you with the best service and understanding how we can improve our service based on your experience.
- To protect our business and your account from fraud and other illegal activities. This includes using your personal data to maintain, update and safeguard your account.
- To protect our customers, premises, assets and Staff members from crime, we operate CCTV systems in our store and car park which record images for security. We do this on the basis of our legitimate business interests.
- To process payments and to prevent fraudulent transactions. We do this on the basis of our legitimate business interests. This also helps to protect our customers from fraud.
- If we discover any criminal activity or alleged criminal activity through our use of CCTV, fraud monitoring and suspicious transaction monitoring, we will process this data for the purposes of preventing or detecting unlawful acts. We aim is to protect the individuals we interact with from criminal activities.
- With your consent, we will use your personal data, preferences and details of your transactions to keep you informed by email, web, text, telephone about relevant products and services including tailored special offers, discounts, promotions, events, competitions and so on. This is only applicable in the UK.
Of course, you are free to opt out of hearing from us by any of these channels at any time.
- To send you relevant, personalised communications by post in relation to updates, offers, services and products. We’ll do this on the basis of our legitimate business interest.
You are free to opt out of hearing from us by post at any time.
- To send you communications required by law or which are necessary to inform you about our changes to the services we provide you. For example, updates to this Privacy Notice, product recall notices, and legally required information relating to your orders. These service messages will not include any promotional content and do not require prior consent when sent by email or text message. If we do not use your personal data for these purposes, we would be unable to comply with our legal obligations.
- To administer any of our prize draws or competitions which you enter, based on your consent given at the time of entering.
- To develop, test and improve the systems, services and products we provide to you. We’ll do this on the basis of our legitimate business interests.
- To comply with our contractual or legal obligations to share data with law enforcement.
- To process your booking/appointment requests (for example with a home delivery). Sometimes, we’ll need to share your details with a third party who is providing a service (such as delivery couriers). We do so to maintain our appointment with you. Without sharing your personal data, we’d be unable to fulfil your request.
HOW WE PROTECT YOUR DATA
We know how much data security matters to all our customers. With this in mind we will treat your data with the utmost care and take all appropriate steps to protect it.
We secure access to all transaction areas of our website using ‘https’ technology.
Access to your personal data is password-protected, and sensitive data such as payment card information) is secured and tokenised to ensure it is protected.
We regularly monitor our system for possible vulnerabilities and attacks, and we carry out penetration testing to identify ways to further strengthen security.
HOW LONG WE KEEP YOUR PERSONAL DATA
Whenever we collect or process your personal data, we’ll only keep it for as long as is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected.
At the end of that retention period, your data will either be deleted completely or archived in a secure location.
Some examples of customer data retention periods:
When you place an order, we’ll keep the personal data you give us for five years so we can comply with our legal and contractual obligations. In the case of certain products, such as electrical we’ll keep the data for 10 years.
If your order included a warranty, the associated personal data will be kept until the end of the warranty period.
WHO DO WE SHARE YOUR PERSONAL DATA WITH
We sometimes share your personal data with trusted third parties.
For example, delivery couriers, technicians visiting your home, for fraud management, to handle complaints.
Here’s the policy we apply to those organisations to keep your data safe and protect your privacy:
- We provide only the information they need to perform their specific services.
- They may only use your data for the exact purposes we specify in our contract with them.
- We work closely with them to ensure that your privacy is respected and protected at all times.
Examples of the kind of third parties we work with are:
- IT companies who support our website and other business systems.
- Operational companies such as delivery couriers.
- Direct marketing companies who help us manage our electronic communications with you.
- Google/Facebook to show you products that might interest you while you’re browsing the internet. This is based on either your marketing consent or your acceptance of cookies on our websites.
Sharing your data with third parties for their own purposes:
We will only do this in very specific circumstances, for example:
- For fraud management, we may share information about fraudulent or potentially fraudulent activity in our premises or systems. This may include sharing data about individuals with law enforcement bodies.
- We may also be required to disclose your personal data to the police or other enforcement, regulatory or Government body, in your country of origin or elsewhere, upon a valid request to do so. These requests are assessed on a case-by-case basis and take the privacy of our customers into consideration.
To help personalise your journey through the Astral Lighting Ltd website we currently use the following companies, who will process your personal data as part of their contracts with us:
WHERE WE PROCESS YOUR DATA
All data is solely processed in the UK.
Any transfer of your personal data will follow applicable laws and we will treat the information under the guiding principles of this Privacy Notice.
YOUR RIGHTS TO YOUR PERSONAL DATA
You have the right to request:
- Access to the personal data we hold about you, free of charge in most cases.
- The correction of your personal data when incorrect, out of date or incomplete.
- The deletion of the data we hold about you, in specific circumstances; for example, when you withdraw consent or object, and we have no legitimate overriding interest, or once the purpose for which we hold the data has come to an end (such as the end of a warranty).
- A computer file in a common format (CSV or similar) containing the personal data that you have previously provided to us, and the right to have your information transferred to another entity where this is technically possible.
- Restriction of the use of your personal data, in specific circumstances, generally while we are deciding on an objection you have made.
- That we stop processing your personal data, in specific circumstances; for example, when you have withdrawn consent, or object for reasons related to your individual circumstances.
- That we stop using your personal data for direct marketing (either through specific channels, or all channels).
- That we stop any consent-based processing of your personal data after you withdraw that consent.
- You can contact us to request to exercise these rights at any time by phone or email.
- If we choose not to action your request, we will explain the reasons for our refusal.
Your right to withdraw consent
Whenever you have given us your consent to use your personal data, you have the right to change your mind at any time and withdraw that consent.
Where we rely on our legitimate interest
In cases where we are processing your personal data on the basis of our legitimate interest, you can ask us to stop for reasons connected to your individual situation. We must then do so unless we believe we have a legitimate overriding reason to continue processing your personal data, such as administration of an extended warranty.
You have the right to stop the use of your personal data for direct marketing activity through all channels, or selected channels. We must always comply with your request.
Checking your identity
To protect the confidentiality of your information, we will ask you to verify your identity before proceeding with any request you make under this Privacy Notice.
If you have authorised a third party to submit a request on your behalf, we will ask them to prove they have your permission to act.
HOW YOU CAN STOP YOUR PERSONAL DATA BEING USED FOR DIRECT MARKETING
There are several ways you can stop direct marketing communications from us:
- Write to ASTRAL LIGHTING LTD, UNIT 4 GRIPOLY MILLS, SLOPER ROAD, CARDIFF, CF11 8AA
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that you may continue to receive communications for a short period after changing your preferences while our systems are fully updated.
CONTACTING THE REGULATOR
If you feel that your data has not been handled correctly, or you are unhappy with our response to any requests you have made to us regarding the use of your personal data, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
If you are based outside the UK, you have the right to lodge your complaint with the relevant data protection regulator in your country of residence.
CONTACT FOR FURTHER QUESTIONS
We hope this Privacy Notice has been helpful in setting out the way we handle your personal data and your rights to control it.
If you have any questions that haven’t been covered the store.
- Email us at email@example.com
- Write to ASTRAL LIGHTING LTD, UNIT 4 GRIPOLY MILLS, SLOPER ROAD, CARDIFF, CF11 8AA
This notice was last updated on 24/02/2019